Match Report: Aberdeen East End

Saturday 26th October at New Advocates Park sponsored by Ronnie McNeill – Decorator/Tiler.

At the weekend Scone travelled to Aberdeen for Round 3 of the Macron Scottish Junior Cup. Many thanks to the Scone Arms for their hospitality in the morning to ensure that everyone was fed & watered before the long coach trip North. Manager Sean Whitworth made 3 changes to the last game with Gavin Sorely, Samuel Sanchez & Craig Mitchell all returning to the starting 11. As the game started both sides created chances in the opening minutes, Scone won the first corner of the match with Arran McKay coming close on 11 minutes but it was the hosts that found the opening goal when Luke Emmett headed East End in front from a 13th minute corner kick. Scone fought back & on 33 minutes won a corner kick taken by Darren Gray & as the hosts tried to clear the ball Martin Strachan was fouled in the penalty area & referee Joel Kennedy awarded Scone a penalty kick. Aaron Carlon (sponsored by Perth City Boys Club Trust) stepped up to comfortably beat Zac Ellis the East End keeper. Calum Black & Arran McKay both had chances before the break but at the interval the score was tied all square.

Half time score: Aberdeen East End 1-1 Scone

The 2nd half saw the game stop & start with a number of niggly fouls & the referee showing 6 cards in total as both sides cancelled each other out. Gavin Sorley was called into action on 64 minutes before Aidan Benvie replaced Aaron Carlon on 70 minutes & 10 mins later Max Avolio came on for Darren Gray. The hosts made their own change with 6 minutes to go but neither side could find the breakthrough as the game headed towards a replay. On a weekend when we remember the 10th anniversary & the unfortunate passing of Club legend Scott Farquharson, our best wishes are sent to his family & we are sure that he would be proud of Scone being the last Perthshire team left in this years competition.

Full time score: Aberdeen East End 1-1 Scone

Man of the match for Scone: Martin Strachan (sponsored by Jaggies Bonus Ball) who did well to win his side the penalty & constantly worked hard to break up the East End attacks. After the match manager Sean Whitworth (sponsored by Balajee Spice) told Jaggy News “I felt that we were slow to get going & settle with the tough conditions. Once we scored the penalty to equalise we grew more into the game. Overall, the players worked hard & I’m happy to end the game with a draw to take the game to a replay where we can hopefully take full advantage of having the tie at home”. In a change to the original fixture listings, the replay of this game will now be at Farquharson Park on Saturday 2nd November with the slightly earlier kick off time of 2.00pm. The Luncarty game has been postponed to a later date in the season however we are still planning on hosting a hospitality/sponsors day the following week on Saturday 9th November. Broughty Athletic will be the visitors and tickets are £35 which includes food & refreshment before & after the game. Anyone who wishes to attend can contact for further details.

The weekend’s bonus ball number was number “32” & with no winners, next weeks prize now stands at £75. Again there are still numbers left & if anyone is wanting to reserve a number on a weekly basis, they can either contact the above email address or anyone at the Club for further details. 

There was only one game in the North Superleaue which saw Carnoustie Panmure extend their lead at the top by beating Luncarty 3-1 at home, the updated league table is available here Scone remain in 5th  place & 5 points clear of their next closest rivals.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.