Match Report: Broughty Athletic

10th August, match sponsored by Jempson Joinery Ltd:

Saturday saw Scone travel to Dundee to take on Broughty Athletic for the first time this season in the Superleague North. Since our last visit to Whitton Park, Broughty have now laid a new artificial pitch which allowed the hosts to be 1 of only 2 teams able to beat the weather and get their game played in what turned out to be a warm day despite the forecasted rain. Having been beaten by a very different looking Broughty team last season, Scone will be disappointed they were unable to build on a great midweek result and take something from this game. Manager Derek Lawson started with Josh Gorton back in goal but with the rest of the side a similar line up to Wednesday’s game. The hosts created the first chance of the match with Josh Gorton being called into action as early as the 3rd minute. Scone’s first shot on target coming via Martin Strachan in the 12th minute. Ross Mitchell, & Max Avolio both had half chances but were unable to get a shot on target while Aiden Benvie hit the post but the opening goal came for Broughty in the 35th minute when Gary Fraser was on hand at the far post with the simplest of finishes . Scone were forced into their first change of the afternoon when Calum Black replaced Andrew Mackenzie on 43 minutes. 

Half time score: Broughty Athletic 1-0 Scone

The 2nd half started with Scone knowing there was still only the single goal separating the 2 sides and that remained the case for over an hour of this game but Scone were unable to close the gap before the hosts extended their lead. Lee Maloney came on for Aiden Benvie on 63 minutes as Scone looked to get back into the game but in the 70th minute referee Lorraine Watson awarded the hosts a penalty which Ross McCord duly took to double Broughty’s lead. Before Scone had a chance to re-group they found themselves a further goal behind 2 minutes later when Stewart McConnachie capitalised on a defensive error to put the result beyond doubt. Both sides made further changes with Darren Spence coming on for Max Avolio for the remainder of the game. Scone did get a consolation goal in 87 minutes when Martin Strachan was fouled in the Broughty penalty box with Ross Mitchell stepping up to take the penalty kick scoring his 2nd goal in as many games but Scone will be disappointed that they couldn’t have made this game closer.

Full time score: Broughty Athletic 3-1 Scone

Man of the match for Scone: Arran McKay who again covered for Stephen Moon at right back and continually worked hard looking dangerous on the break. After the match manger Derek Lawson told Jaggie News ”It was a poor performance with mistakes again that led to us conceding goals which is disappointing”. Plenty for the players & management team to work on ahead of another midweek game this time with Downfield the visitors to Farquharson Park on Wednesday 14th August with a 6.45pm kick off.

Matchday summary:

As mentioned above, only 1 other game went ahead in the Superleague North with Carnoustie dropping their first points of the season being held to a 2-2 draw by Dundee North End. Scone drop 1 place to 7th the updated league table is available here.


Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.