Match Report: Dundee North End

Saturday 10th March at North End Park, North Division:

Initially due to play Newburgh on this date, Scone travelled through to Dundee to instead play the League leaders who’s game v Dufftown had also been postponed. Despite horrendous conditions with the rain barely easing up all day, the game was 1 of only 2 to go ahead. Scone were missing a couple of bodies to injury and once again were grateful to Scone 2001s for their additional support as the Jaggies looked to match a good North End side. As the game kicked off, both sides were trying to pass the ball around and make the best of a heavy pitch but there was little in terms of goal mouth chances as the players tried to make the best of the conditions. It was 25 minutes before either keeper had to make a meaningful save when David Winton was called into action to save from Nathan Scott. Kevin Sinclair then saw a shot cleared for a corner at the other end before on 32 minutes Scott opened the scoring for the home side when he found himself between 2 defenders and able to slot the ball past Winton. Aaron Carlon, Kevin Sinclair and Arran McKay all had efforts on target before the break but were unable to beat Neil Ferrie in goal as the visitors searched for an equaliser.

Half time score: North End 1-0 Scone

The second half started with no improvement in the weather but with both sides still trying to make the best of it. As the pitch got heavier both sides were struggling to keep hold of the ball with few shots on target. North End made the first substitution with Ryan Hunter coming on for Ryan Smith on 58 minutes before Gary Mackie came on for Scone replacing Martin Strachan on 64 minutes who had picked up a knock on his ankle and was unable to continue. Kevin Sinclair then saw another long range effort deflected for a corner a minute later before Winton saved from a North End header. Scone made their last substitution of the day on 69 minutes when Javier Perez Cuevas replaced Derek Angus for the last 20 minutes. North End made 2 late changes themselves with Keiran Sturrock and Liam Keiller replacing Nathan Scott and Barrie Pullar. The hosts thought they had doubled their lead only to see a defected shot from Ben Sivewright be cleared by Willie Laing on the line, however with 10 minutes to go Frankie Devine got on the end of a well worked goal to give North End all 3 points. Despite the conditions, the game was played in a good spirit with referee Scott Annandale only having to book one player and we wish North End well for the remainder of their campaign.

Full time score: North End 2-0 Scone

Man of the match for Scone: Aaron Carlon (sponsored by Scone 2001s) who after making a handful of substitution appearances, was making his first start for the Juniors and showed that he is beginning to find his feet and is an exciting prospect for the future. After the match, the manager Derek Lawson (sponsored by Graham Milne) told Jaggie News “we have lost to the best team in the League. I felt that we more than matched them considering we had a lot of players missing. I am disappointed in the goals that we lost but overall we gave a good account of ourselves against the potential League winners“. Next up for Scone is a tricky home fixture v Luncarty at Farquharson Park on Saturday with a 2.30pm kick off. Scone remain 4th with North End now 7 points clear at the top, the updated league table is available here.

Matchday 24 summary:

The only other game in the North Division saw Blairgowrie beat Forfar Albion 5-1 at home.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.