Match Report: Kirriemuir Thistle

24th August, match sponsored by Cherrybank Garage:

Saturday saw Kirriemuir Thistle welcomed to Farquharson Park in the North Supeleague for the first time since May 2017. Manager Derek Lawson was missing a couple of key players but was able to welcome back Craig Mitchell who started in the middle of an experimental formation as Scone looked to attack from the off. In the opening 15 minutes, Scone had a trio of chances to open the scoring and were unfortunate not to take an early lead. Aidan Benvie, Martin Strachan & Craig Mitchell all had opportunities to open the scoring but it was the visitors who scored first on 17 minutes when Stewart Russell got his first of the afternoon. Scone were playing well though & 5 minutes later Aaron Carlon scored the first of his when he capitalised on a defensive error to beat keeper Darryl Burns to equalise. On 35 minutes, Ross Mitchell was deliberately pulled back when in a goal scoring opportunity & the referee Liam Redpath had little choice but to send off the Kirrie defender Stuart McKenna. Andrew Mackenzie took the resulting free kick which was well saved by Burns but fell straight into the path of Ross Mitchell who was able to head Scone in front. Before the visitors had the chance to re organise, Aaron Carlon‘s pace again found himself with just the keeper to beat as he calmly rounded Burns for his 2nd of the afternoon on the stroke of half time.

Half time score: Scone 3-1 Kirriemuir

The break did give the visitors the chance to re group & Kirrie looked a better team down to 10 men. On 51 minutes they made the first of their substitutions with David Millar coming on for Grant Rodger & within a minute Stewart Russell scored his 2nd of the afternoon to reduce the deficit to 1. As Kirrie pushed for the equaliser, Scone caught them on the counter attack & on 62 minutes Martin Strachan fed the ball through to Aaron Carlon who hit a blistering shot past Burns leaving him little chance for the save. Within a minute Kirrie scored again, this time with Dale Reid on target but it would prove to be little more than a consolation. Both sides made further changes with Calum Black & Max Avolio coming on for Scone as the Jaggies looked to see out the remainder of the game. There was late chances for Max Avolio & Andrew Mackenzie but the afternoon finished with no further goals. The game didn’t feel as close as the scoreline might suggest & Scone deserved to record back to back Superleague wins for the first time this season.

Full time score: Scone 4-3 Kirriemuir

Man of the match for Scone: Aaron Carlon (sponsored by Perth City Boys Club Trust) not only did Aaron score his first hat-trick in the Superleague but constantly looked a threat with his pace & creativity. After the match manager Derek Lawson told Jaggies News ‘I am delighted with the 3 points, there is a lot of belief now within the Club that we can compete in this League. Credit to Kirrie who made life difficult for us with 10 men in the 2nd half“. We would also like to thank Marques of Scone & A & B Taxis both of whom were featured on the new home strip which made it’s debut on this day. Before the game Linzi Low from Marques of Scone made the presentation & met some of the players (pictures to follow). Next up for Scone is a break from League action as the Jaggies travel to Rosyth in the DJ Laing East Region Cup on Saturday 31st August at 2:30pm.

Matchday summary:

Elsewhere in the North Superleague, Lochee Utd were the only other team to win at home beating Broughty Athletic 4-0 with leaders Carnoustie winning 3-2 against Luncarty. Dundee North End beat Tayport 7-2 while Downfield & Forfar West End shared the points in a 1-1 draw.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.