Match Report: Neilston

Saturday 29th September at Farquharson Park, Macron Scottish Junior Cup:

Saturday saw Scone host their first home game of the season with Neilston Juniors the visitors in the 2nd round of the Macron Scottish Junior Cup. After upgrading of the changing facilities over the summer, Scone were finally able to welcome visitors to Farquharson Park and we thank all those at the Community Club, sponsors, tradesman & volunteers who have worked tirelessly in their spare time to get the facilities upgraded. We were also delighted to welcome Steve Bonthrone who was the match ball sponsor for the day along with Jack AdamsonCharlie McKay & Rhys Kerr from the 2007’s & Charlie & Jamie Adams from the 2010’s youth teams who led the teams out before kick off. Despite a little breeze conditions were perfect and Scone’s pitch was looking great thanks to the hard work put in over the summer & in the lead up to the weekend’s match. As the game started, both teams were looking to pass the ball around sharply with play flowing from end to end as Scone looked to match the visitors. The first chance of the afternoon fell to Calum Kinnear on 6 minutes who out ran the Neilston defence only to see his shot go off target. The early exchanges saw a number of fouls and referee Kyle Hall brandished the first yellow card of the day on 27 minutes with Kieran McDade picking up the first booking for the visitors. Craig Mitchell came close from an Andrew Mackenzie free kick and brother Ross Mitchell had a long range effort drift over the top of the bar but at the break the sides went in all square.

Half time score: Scone 0-0 Neilston

Scone had the first chance of the 2nd half within minutes of the re-start. Aaron Carlon had sprinted into the penalty area and beat Tiropulous in the Neilston goal and when the ball fell to Ross Mitchell looked certain to score only for Robert Payne to clear the ball for the visitors. On 56 minutes after good work again by Aaron Carlon found himself with only the keeper to beat who this time was able to smother the ball. It looked like Neilston had found the breakthrough 3 minutes later only for Josh Gorton to keep Scone in the game as both sides continued to create chances. The breakthrough came in the 70th minute when Dylan Fletcher got on the end of a Neilston corner to give the visitors the lead. Almost immediately Carlon had another couple of chances to pull a goal back before Scone made their 1 and only substitution with Max Avolio coming on for Calum Kinnear. As the game entered the last 10 minutes there were 5 further bookings with Andrew Mackenzie being ordered off for his second yellow of the afternoon. Scone were still creating chances and on 83 minutes Ross Mitchell was found on the penalty spot by Carlon only for the keeper to get a hand to the ball who conceded a corner kick instead. In summary, Neilston were an experienced side that had plenty of the play over the 90 minutes but Scone had the best chances to score & will feel a little hard done by that they were unable to force a replay.

Full time score: Scone 0-1 Neilston

Man of the match for Scone: Aaron Carlon (sponsored by Perth City Decorating Company) who despite being given a torrid afternoon from Neislton on & off the pitch never stopped trying & creating chances for his team and was unfortunate not to score himself. After the match Assistant Manager Paul Farquharson (sponsored by Andy Law pest control) told Jaggie News “I thought the boys battled hard to compete with a very good Neilston team. I felt Scone had the better chances but unfortunately you get punished if you don’t take them ”. Many thanks to the Wheel Inn, Scone for their hospitality after the game and next up for the Jaggies is East Craigie away who currently sit 2 places above Scone in the Premier League North, current standings available here. 

Start a Conversation

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.