Luncarty – Scone Thistle

Luncarty – Dundee North End

Luncarty – Scone Thistle

Saturday 22nd September at Brownlands Park, Premier League North:

Saturday saw Scone make the short trip to Luncarty for the North Division fixture at Brownlands Park. In what has always been a keenly contested match referee Keith Maskell was kept busy on and off the ball in a game that never lacked incident. As both sides looked to settle into the game the visitors first chance came in the 15th minute when Darren Gray ran into space only for Duncan Bruce to comfortably save the shot to his left. A minute later Josh Gorton was forced into his first save at the other end as Luncarty looked to score themselves. The breakthrough came on 27 minutes when ex-Jaggie Sean Fergus was on hand for the hosts to open the scoring. The first booking of the day was shown to Luncarty’s Callum Kirkcaldy on 30 minutes for a reckless tackle who had to walk a tightrope for the rest of the half to remain on the pitch. Kircaldy was involved in a further incident on 39 minutes when the referee awarded a penalty kick to Scone for a foul on the edge of the penalty area. New signing Andrew Mackenzie stepped up to take the kick but Bruce in goal dived the right way and was able to make the save.

Half time score: Luncarty 1-0 Scone 

Perhaps wisely at the break, Luncarty made their first change with Alexander Whytock replacing Kirkcaldy. Scone made their first change on 50 minutes with Stephen Moon replacing Gary Mackie before on 56 minutes Aaron Carlon came on for Sean Whitworth. Scone were battling hard to get back into the game but were punished on 65 minutes when the visitors failed to clear the ball which fell to defender Daniel Walker who hit a thunderous shot that Gorton had little chance of stopping. A minute later Scone did pull a goal back when Aaron Carlon (sponsored by Perth City Decorating Company) ran from the half way line to calmly beat the Luncarty defence and slot the ball past Bruce to set up a tense finish. Both sides would make another change with Calum Kinnear replacing Ross Wilson for Scone & Jack Hutchison replacing Fraser Mills on 77 minutes. As Scone fought to get something out of the game there was a number of late chances but they were unable to find an equaliser their efforts deserved.

Full time score: Luncarty 2-1 Scone 

Man of the match for Scone: Fraser MacDonald (sponsored by R Smith Joiner & Contractor), who worked tirelessly in defence & gave a very solid performance. After the match, manager Derek Lawson (sponsored by Lindsays Butcher & Ronnie McNeill – Painter/Tiler) told Jaggies News “I am disappointed to lose the game but I was proud of the players for their work rate & effort. We have a good squad who all work hard for each other & hopefully we can get a few players back from injury over the coming weeks “. Next up for Scone is the first home game of the season with Neilston Juniors the visitors in the Macron Scottish Junior Cup. Kick off will be 2:30pm on Saturday 29th September and a reminder that Season Tickets will not be valid but will be on sale for anyone who wants to pick one up for the League campaign. Many thanks to all of the tradesmen, sponsors & volunteers who will be finishing the last of the upgrade work to the facilities this week in preparation for the weekend.  

Match day 8 summary

Blairgowrie were the biggest winners of the day winning 6-3 away to Arbroath Vics and Dundee North End go joint top after beating Brechin Vics 2-1 away. Lochee Harp and East Craigie drew 2-2 while Kinnoull won 3-1 against the Violet through in Dundee. Forfar Albion picked up their first points of the season beating Coupar Angus 3-0 at home to leave Coupar bottom of the League, the updated table is available here.

Luncarty — Arbroath Victoria