Scone Thistle vs Coupar Angus


Date Kick Off League Season
27th August 2016 2:30 pm League North Division Season 2016-17

KO KO 7 8 21 21 52 52 58 62 76 76 77 FT


Scone moved up to joint second in tonight’s North Division after maintaining their 100% start to the season this afternoon in the South Strathmore Derby.

Scone took an early lead after only 8 minutes when Fraser Mills got on the end of a cross from the right by Avolio to chip the ball over Mitchell in the Coupar Angus goal.

Casey responded for the visitors with a free kick from distance that went over the bar before Lafferty fired narrowly wide after getting on the end of a Macdonald cross into the Coupar box.

Scone made it 2-0 with 22 minutes played when Mills flicked on a Macdonald throw in to Njie, he chipped the ball back to Mills who knocked it inside to Lafferty and when the Scone midfielder’s great ball forward beat the Coupar defence Njie collected the ball before steering it past Mitchell for his first goal for his new club.

Fergus then produced a great save from Mitchell hitting a good first time volley from just outside the box that had the Coupar goalie scrambling to his right before Fergus, Njie and Whitworth all saw efforts just off target as Scone saw out the first half comfortably.

Scone almost went 3-0 up within seconds of the start of the second half after Njie and Avolio had taken the ball down to the right hand side of the Coupar Angus goal line before a cross from Avolio was met by Fergus at the front post.  He couldn’t direct his header on target and the ball was collected at the far post by Mills.  He then turned past Doherty before bending the goal past Mitchell towards the back of the net, only to see strike partner Njie accidentally header the ball off the goal-line having broken forward a bit too enthusiastically.

Bruce had a long range effort over the bar before Scone made it 3-0 after 54 minutes.  Hynd played a perfect free kick from the right touch line into the Coupar penalty box and Njie rose unchallenged at the penalty spot to bullet a powerful header into the back of the net.

Gary Fergus had a couple of efforts just off target, either side of a Duncan effort into the side netting of the Scone goal, before Coupar Angus were awarded a lifeline after 63 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after Whitworth barged Casey in the back whilst challenging for a high ball.

There were no arguments about the award from the Scone players as Casey himself stepped up to take the penalty and convert it to give Coupar a chance to get back into the match however it was to be the home side who continued to create the best of the chances.

Whitworth saw a close range header saved by Mitchell before Scone made it 4-1 with 77 minutes played.   Njie showed great skill to take control of a Hynd clearance and turn the ball past Leith before heading goalwards, his effort on goal was partially saved by Mitchell but the ball broke across goal and was turned in by Mills for his fourth goal in only two games.

Mills and Sinclair had late efforts just off target and Moffat saw a shot rebound from the upright as Scone comfortably saw out the remaining time and posted their third win from their first three league games.