Kirriemuir Thistle — Scone Thistle


Date Kick Off League Season
1st October 2016 2:30 pm League North Division Season 2016-17

KO KO 27 29 36 36 45 45 57 60 60 62 74 77 81 92 FT


It was Kirriemuir Thistle who were to triumph in yesterday’s clash of the Jags at Westview Park as Scone were to fail to take advantage of the hosts playing the entirety of the second half with only 10 men.

Without top scorer, Fraser Mills, and key midfielder, Craig Mitchell, Scone made a couple of changes from the side that had started the previous week at Luncarty with Lewis Avolio returning to defence and Ben Moffat and Abi Njie leading the attack. Newly signed goalkeeper, Josh Gorton, who had played as a trialist at Luncarty, continued in goal.

Kirrie were to go into a 2 goal lead before the first 30 minutes had been played when Strachan picked up a loose clearance inside the Scone box to open the scoring after 27 minutes and Russell grabbed his first of the day from a corner a couple of minutes later.

Scone pulled the lead back to one after 35 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after a foul on Njie and the Scone striker was to pick himself up and convert the chance.   At the awarding of the penalty, Kirrie’s Bryan Duell was to pick up a caution for dissent and he was to double this tally 10 minutes later, leaving his side facing a second 45 minutes a man short.

The hosts however were undaunted by this task and showed real determination to grab all three points, which allied to a poor defensive display by Scone, was to set the scene for the second half.    Kirrie were to make it 3-1 with 57 minutes gone when they were awarded their own penalty after the referee adjudged Whitworth to have stopped a shot on goal with his arm.  Scott converted the spot kick.

This was followed by Scone pulling the game back to a single goal lead when good work by Lafferty allowed the ball to be fed to Moffat on the right and his cross into the centre was turned into his own net by Farquharson.

The game continued to follow the same pattern and Kirrie went two in front again after 77 minutes when a Scott cross from the right was turned home by Russell for his second of the day.

Scone again pulled a goal back after 81 minutes when Njie got on the end of a long ball forward to beat the defence and home keeper Diamond to the ball to coolly finish.

Just as Jags were looking for an equaliser in the dying moments, however, the home team were to capitalise on a poor clearance by the Scone defence to score a fifth and final goal with Russell picking up a slack ball and chipping it forward to Scott who beat Gorton from 12 yards out.

It was a disappointing result for Scone in a game that was definitely winnable but for some poor play by the Jags.