Scone Thistle — Kirriemuir Thistle


Date Kick Off League Season
13th May 2017 2:30 pm League North Division Season 2016-17

KO KO 38 58 68 75 78 85 85 89 89 90 FT


It was honours even in the final North Division match played at Farquharson Park in season 2016/17 after Scone Thistle and league leaders Kirriemuir Thistle cancelled each other out in a tense, bad tempered match.

Before the game the Juniors’ squad played their own tribute to the 2001s squad that had clinched the Toorie Winters Cup last Sunday as they gave a guard of honour to the Wee Jags when they paraded the trophy prior to kick off.

Scone brought back Laing, Whitworth, Gary Fergus and Strachan to the starting line up with Mackie, McKay, Sean Fergus and Avolio dropping to the bench.   With the team reverting to a flat back four after last week’s three at the back, Mitchell moved back into midfield alongside Strachan.

Scone started brightly and the Kirrie defence had to look quickly to block a goalbound Mills effort after only 7 minutes before Fergus had an effort off target.

Surprisingly given their goal scoring feats recently it took the visitors almost half an hour to get their first decent effort on goal with Tosh firing high over the bar from just outside the box.

Strachan responded for the Jags with an effort that was just off target before Kirrie made the breakthrough after 38 minutes.

Awarded a throw in on the right halfway up the Scone half, the ball was quickly thrown to Duell and his deep cross into the Scone area was headed home by Kirrie captain Stewart Russell who had done well to ghost off his marker.

Any thoughts that this one goal would lead to more were to be quickly dashed as Scone went on to dominate possession in the Kirrie half without really threatening Diamond in the visitors’ goal as time ticked to the break.

The second half was only moments old when Fergus got on the end of a Njie cross into the box but couldn’t steer his effort on target.

Kirrie responded and Duell had a weak effort just inside the box easily collected by Gorton before from Gorton’s kick from hand Njie collected the long ball before Diamond had to collect Njie’s chipped shot at full stretch.

Gorton then did well to block a Russell effort at the expense of a corner.  When the corner arrived there were shouts from the Kirrie players for a penalty when they claimed a Duell header on goal had been handled on the line by a Scone defender.   It appeared (and was confirmed by subsequent video replays) that the only Scone player near the incident was goalkeeper Josh Gorton and that the ball appeared to have actually struck a Kirrie player.

However despite this apparently obvious non-penalty, with Kirrie losing their discipline as the half wore on, their lack of focus was to cost them dearly.

When Scone were awarded a corner four minutes after the “penalty” incident Kirrie’s Farquharson was perhaps fortunate to escape a caution for his continued protests with the referee happy to issue a stern talking to.  Moments later Kirrie’s complaints were to reach fever pitch when they lost their lead.

Gary Fergus swung a deep corner to the back post and with the Kirrie defence switched off, a great run from Whitworth saw him header the ball home from a tight angle.

It was perhaps appropriate that Big Yeti would get the final goal at Farquharson Park in 2016/17 as he had opened the scoring at the ground back on the opening day of the season last August.

Duell attempted to get Kirrie back in front but his effort was wide before Sinclair had two efforts narrowly off target.

When Kirrie did manage to create a chance on target they found Scone defending bravely and after 74 minutes Fergus did well to block a close range Fotheringham header on the line before the game returned to a game of cat and mouse between the two times as the tempers of the visiting side lines and players rose with the game not going their way.

The game finished with both sides reduced to 10 men in the dying minutes and with Scone feeling that they should have had a penalty.   On this occasion it seemed their claim was sound.

A corner from the left was swung into the Kirrie box by Fergus and when Mitchell and Russell rose to challenge for the ball the Scone player was accidentally knocked to the ground by Russell’s momentum.   Farquharson, who had headed the ball clear, landed on top of Mitchell and fell to the ground himself, where for reasons only know to the Kirrie player he lashed out with his foot stamping on Mitchell’s head.

The referee had failed to notice this with the ball being cleared from the box, however couldn’t fail to see what happened next as a number of players began barging and pushing each other.  In the melee Mills appeared to strike an opponent and when the referee finally restored order Farquharson and Mills were dismissed.   The red cards appeared the correct decision but the Scone supporters were left wondering how the Kirrie man could have been sent off without the Jags being awarded the resultant penalty for the stamp on Mitchell.

There was just time in injury time for Mitchell to come close to grabbing all three points for Scone with a snapshot from just outside the area that drifted wide.

The full time whistle went soon afterwards and Scone will be delighted with not only holding the league leaders to the draw but also with the fact that they could have had more.